Moving House Boiler Checks

Before you buy a property, remember to inspect the boiler to make sure it’s in good working condition.

There are many horror stories of boilers breaking down as soon as people move into a new house. New owners are often forced to pay hefty bills. This guide explains everything you need to know about a boiler before moving into a new property.

Building regulations and certificates exist to ensure the safety of people living in and around residential buildings. These regulations and certificates improve the safety of gas and oil heating appliances, and ensures that they’re installed by professionals.

Ask for the paperwork

Even if the home owner shows you a relatively new boiler and central heating system, ask your solicitor to get the building certificate. Asking for the necessary paperwork will tell you whether the boiler was installed properly or not. Hopefully this will mean you won’t have to fork out to fix underlying issues once you’ve moved into the property.

Gas Safety Certificate

A gas safety certificate shows that a boiler was installed correctly, and by professionals. If there is no gas safety certificate, you should ask the seller to arrange one. Ask for a Gas Safe registered installer to check the boiler system and certify it before you move in.

Get the Boiler Inspected

If possible, before you agree to buy a property, ask for a boiler inspection to take place. A Gas Safe engineer should inspect the boiler and heating system before the exchange, to let you know if it’s in good condition or not..

Buildings Regulation Compliance Certificate

Along with the Gas Safety Certificate, also ask the seller for a buildings regulation compliance certificate, also known as a Buildings Regulation Compliance Gas Safety Certificate. This will come in handy if you want to sell the property after a few years, as you can pass on the proper paperwork to the new owner.

Pay Attention to the Details

The Buildings Regulation Compliance Certificate should include the address, certificate number, the date the boiler system was installed, along with other details about the boiler and the Gas Safe Registered installer.

Building Regulation Documents

Building regulations may differ from county to county within the UK. Building regulations are updated each year and are mainly concerned with energy conservation, and your boiler should be checked annually – especially if you’re letting your home.


It’s the Home Owner’s Responsibility

By law, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to make sure that their boiler and heating system complies with boiler regulations. This is the reason why all gas fired boilers are required to be installed by a Gas Safe registered technician, while all oil-fired boilers have to be installed by OFTEC registered installers.

In England and Wales, the local authorities have to be informed whenever a heating appliance is installed in a property. The local authority needs to be notified within 30 working days of the completion date of the new installation. Once complete, a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate should arrive thorugh the post within 10-15 working days.


Quick Discovery